My AV performance is an ongoing exploration of the representation of every movement in the musical Improvisation in visual form. Whenever any part of the music is altered, be that FX, mixer fades, start/stopping of track stems, playing of instruments etc. the visuals respond accordingly. The music and visuals are deconstructions of the cinematic form, e.g. endburns from celluloid, and a similarly bastardised version of an ambient/hip hop soundtrack.
Three elements are at play:
1. live mixing of track stems using a modified version of the ableton live glitch factory template for the apc40 by mr bill and will marshall
2. monome emulation in max4live for instrumentation (monomodular suite by aumhaa) – controlled by lemur on iPad
3. max4live resolume objects controlling resolume avenue via OSC
I’ve been booked for a few AV gig dates over the next couple of months, all of them very exciting. This video is the ongoing process of this from December last year at the Exploding Cinema event referred to here
- ARC Festival, Bristol – 27th April
- Ultrachip, Edinburgh – 3rd May
- Drop Beats not Bombs, Birmingham – 4th May
- Live Performers Meeting, Rome – 22nd-26th May
I am also busy converting this to fulldome format so I can perform it in 360˚ and surround sound, sometime in June at the Thinktank Planetarium and beyond, during the summer festival season.